Friday, April 13, 2018

Companies I’ve Reviewed: Seventh Generation, Earth Friendly (ECOS) & Burt’s Bees


In my research and reviews of companies/brands I look at:
-Rating/Reviews I look at general reviews online and check rating on ewg.org and/or ewg.org/skindeep (a website that examines brands/ingredients for toxicity). On the main website the best rating is an A, on skin deep best rating is 1. Note that it can be complicated to search for things on the main site – usually I google the brand and “ewg” and see if it comes up. Occasionally a company/product cannot be found so then I look more closely at the actual ingredients and reviews both online and people I know.
-Cost – Is it worth it for what you’re getting? How does it compare to what else is out there?
-Effectiveness – Do the products really work? This is sometimes a matter of opinion - some find certain products to work well that others don’t.

 
Seventh Generation: 
EWG rating is a 2 overall on skindeep, which makes it a good option. I use or have used their toilet cleaner, dish soap, and laundry detergent all of which work great. 


Earth Friendly/ECOS:
The company itself was not on EWG/skindeep. Some old products were there and rated 2. I checked ingredients in current dish soap and pretty safe to say they’d be rated probably a 2 which is pretty good. On the main EWG site it’s rated a C (almond & vanilla scents) which is not as good as other brands, but OK. But reviews online were good as far as products working well and the cost is affordable (dish soap is $2.23 for 25oz at Walmart). Not my brand of choice, but a fine option.


Burt’s Bees:
EWG rating is 1-6 which is a BIG range. In other words: be careful! Their Beeswax or Peppermint lip balm is a 1 which is great, otherwise, check them out first before you buy. This is not really an all-natural company and certainly not organic even though there is a tendency for us to think so. It’s also owned by Clorox which umm… should tell you something! I do use their beeswax lip balm from time to time and have gotten their organic baby towel/washcloths which are great, but otherwise, I don’t bother. 

No comments:

Post a Comment