Saturday, January 26, 2019

Products I Use & Trust: Vitamins/Supplements & Health Treatments


In this series I will introduce and share products that I use whether it’s Vitamins/Supplements, Household/Cleaning Products, or Body/Skin Care. These are products that I have used for at least several months and 1) have seen be effective, 2) like to use, 3) believe to be the best choice for purity AND cost-effectiveness. 

Last Updated: August 2019

Vitamins/supplements are a tricky area because some people need certain vitamins/minerals more than others! Every person is different, and some things will work for one person but not another. I always advise people to go see a naturopathic or holistic doctor before spending a lot of money on vitamins/supplements. Some supplements can actually just work on symptoms and not address the real cause which means you’re stuck taking it forever. Most vitamin/supplement use should be temporary and NOT life-long (although there are exceptions of course). Please consider seeing a trained homeopath/naturopath before spending money on specific supplements! For example: I was dealing with fatigue/energy and digesting issues and went to a naturopath. She found that my body was/is not processing water and digesting food correctly so put me on specific supplements that my body would respond well to. Also, it is very important to be drinking lots of water, have a good diet, exercise and get fresh air & sunshine to help your body stay healthy! All the vitamins in the world will not help if you are not proactive in these ways. For sickness I typically always treat myself naturally first and only go to the doctor if it’s something more serious and it’s been several days. Example: I had a VERY bad sore throat a few years ago that I tried treating myself but after a few days of it not getting better and hurting a LOT, to the doctor I went. It was mono and I got an antibiotic. Go to the doctor if it’s serious or you’re unsure!

Magnesium: Magnesium Glycinate is one of the better-absorbed forms of magnesium. I get it online.

Other vitamins/supplements I have taken (some at the recommendation of a naturopath):
Probiotic Pearls (Amazon). This kind is the most recommended by my naturopath because of their effectiveness and how they are made. I've also had home-grown 1st generation probiotic that was made by a natropath friend. For probiotics my husband and I took daily for 3 months and then were advised to cut back to every other day, then once a week. If you’re eating healthy, that should be enough. Vitamin D3/K2 (I have been quite deficient in these – many people are), and Combination Potassium (this helps with hydration since my body at one point was not holding/processing water well). 

While pregnant/nursing I take pre-natal vitamin daily (I’ve used different brands – my favorite is SmartyPants gummies). Occasionally I will also take an iron supplement as I can get low (and the SmartyPants vitamins do not have iron). Turmeric on occasion as well. I've also started taking cod liver oil almost daily (Nordic Naturals is the best brand for this). 

When I’m feeling sick (or trying to avoid getting sick!):
Pure powdered Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) - The pure stuff is more expensive but the cheaper tablets that you find like at Walmart are actually not as effective). Emergen-C powder is NOT as good either, there are added ingredients in those so I would not recommend.
Cold Calm – you’re supposed to take this at first signs of a cold (runny nose/congestion/sore throat) for it to be most effective. This works!
Zinc Lozenges – great for sore throat.
Kevita Elderberry Apple Cider Tonic - I’ve found this at a few different local grocery stores (ShopRite, Market Basket), but it can be hard to find sometimes. I’ll drink a few sips throughout the day if I think I’m coming down with something or if I’m sick. The Lemon Ginger one is also good for you!
Oil of Oregano – This cleans out my sinuses really well! The best brand I’ve used is from Herbal Authority, but it’s very strong so be careful! I’ll put just two-three drops on my tongue then gargle with water-swallow-repeat until it’s dissolved and not strong anymore.
Vapor Rub – Mainly for sore throat/stuffy nose. Pure Haven makes a great non-toxic one that I use. The Honest Company also sells one that’s also rated well. I do NOT recommend Vicks because of added ingredients.
Oscillococcimum – For body ache, headache, fever, chills… basically I have this on hand to treat flu-like symptoms. Get it at Walmart or Amazon. Also pure Elderberry syrup. NOW brand Elderberry Liquid is elderberry syrup and oscillococcimum together – perfect for flu symptoms! You can make your own Elderberry syrup or buy it from Eartley.com
Dr. Schulze’s Air Detox – air purifier/disinfectant made from pure essential oils. This kills germs in the air. Also a very nice to spray in the bathroom if it um… smells from use. :-)

For cuts/scrapes: If it’s minor, Pure Haven’s Boo-boo Stick (has neem and tea tree oil, also good for bug bites). For deeper/bleeding cuts I use hydrogen peroxide or iodine. (I got a deep cut once that many people would have probably gone to the doctor for, maybe even gotten stitches. It was pretty big/deep…. I just treated it with hydrogen peroxide and bandaged it tightly. Healed up great and didn’t even have a scar!) I’ll also sometimes use Colloidal Silver (I get Sovereign Silver from Amazon) for cuts, and I will also spray in my mouth if I’m sick or have a sore of some kind.

Skin Irritations: See skin care post for lotions/creams.

Other Health Issues & Treatments:
Cold Sores - Vitamin C! Stick a tablet (usually I’ll cut one in half) against the sore in your mouth and let it dissolve. It doesn’t taste good but it works every time! Also spray with Colloidal Silver.
Muscle/body aches: BioFreeze roll-on works great on sore/tight muscles. I’ve also used Arnica for muscle/pain relief. 
Gut/Bowel issues: If you think you might have some gut issues (not having regular bowel movements, constipation, not digesting food well) I’d recommend doing Dr. Schultz Intestinal Formula – two bottles and a lot of pills to take but it really gets into your gut and cleans you out. The #1 pills you should end up with extra which are nice to have in moments of flare-ups– gets things moving!

I also use some Plant Therapy brand essential oils to help with things like headache, anxiety/depression, lack of energy, etc. Magnesium and vitamin D are also important for helping with energy, sleep, digestive health, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment